Sunday, May 9, 2010
Posted on 9:06 PM in by Stephen Williams
Once we encountered a likely looking test site, we setup a simple base camp and started bringing the SnoMote online. The major goal of this expedition was to test the remote communication system between the rover and the external science server in Atlanta. Secondary goals included using the rover to perform a local elevation survey, and testing the accuracy of the mapping system. At the base camp location, we performed several variations of both these tests. After three hours of successful testing, we explored further up the glacier path. The melt water from the glacier formed a small stream, and we decided to perform a second round of tests in that area.
During previous seasons of testing, we chartered a helicopter to drop us off at the test site. This was the first over-land trail. Unfortunately, the stress of being transported long distances by hand, and not particularly gently either, led to a failure of one of the front steering linkages. Fortuitously, this actually occurred at the very end of the second round of testing, and did not impact any of the data collection goals. It does mean more work for Monday though, as I fix the broken ski and find a way to improve upon the current design for future missions.
I have posted another short slideshow of highlights from the Byron Glacier trials. You can see our intrepid band of scientists with all our equipment, as well as the SnoMote tackling some icy terrain. Check it out on the right-hand panel.
Wednesday, May 5, 2010
Posted on 4:19 PM in by Stephen Williams
The trials seem to have been a success; files were uploaded to the
server during the test. The files are being processed by the server,
and should start showing up shortly. I'll make a more in depth post
later, including a slideshow, but for now we are exhausted.
Posted on 8:05 AM in by Stephen Williams
Posted on 7:00 AM in by Stephen Williams
> our gear and robot ready to go, and we are headed to Byron Glacier.
> I'll be making posts via cell phone for the day, so they will be
> short (and misspelled).
> Stephen Williams
Saturday, May 1, 2010
Posted on 6:15 PM in by Stephen Williams
As you can see from the pictures, the time has come to pack up the SnoMote and all of our test equipment for transport to Alaska. The front suspension has been disassembled, which makes the SnoMote shorter for packing and shipping, as well as prevents damage to the skis and steering linkages. The SnoMote chassis is then wrapped and packed for the long plane ride.
Next, we must deal with all of our test equipment. Despite the fact that the robot can drive by itself, we still need a vast array gear for our field tests. A large portion of this is for contingencies. Extra sensors, cameras, and computers are all included. If something were to break while on the glacier, we don't want to have to end the day's testing. Some care has been spent on the placement and accessibility of electronic components, and most can be replaced in the field.
In anticipation of this trip, I've been watching the weather in Anchorage. Either rain or snow was forecasted for basically every day in April. However, the first week of May is scheduled for some sunshine. So hopefully the weather will cooperate. As it stands, the highs should be in the 50's, with lows in the 30's. This is for downtown Anchorage however, and the temperatures around the glacier are significantly cooler. A talk with the park service indicated there was still plenty of snow on the ground, and that snow shoes will be required. They also informed me that this time of year was avalanche season. Field trials are always an adventure.
Tuesday, April 27, 2010
Posted on 10:19 AM in by Stephen Williams
To check out the driving functions of the rover, I setup a joystick on my computer and transmit the joystick positions to the rover as steering commands. This can be seen in the few seconds of video below.
Finally, the science data communication system has been tested. During the driving functions test, logging was enabled. The SnoMote system periodically checks for network connectivity via a cellular modem. When available, all new log files are transmitted to the web server for use with the "Data Explorer" page. If you check now, there should be a log file available from today, meaning the test was successful. However, as it is currently raining in Georgia, I am forced to do my testing in our lab basement. The GPS signal does not work well down here, so it thinks I am somewhere in Sweden. Oh well.
Monday, April 26, 2010
Posted on 5:14 AM in by Stephen Williams